GDPR is a rather complex topic indeed. In short, you need the following features for your store to be GDPR compliant:
- Cookie Consent Banner that is compatible with GDPR standards.
- Personal Data Management that allows users to view, download and delete their data from your database.
And most importantly:
- Tracking/cookies SHOULD NOT start before user consent is given.
- If the consent is not provided, all the trackings should stop - not only some of them.
- The user consent should be carried and respected on all pages.
You can view our Shopify - GDPR Complete Guide page for all details.
You should be using a Cookie Consent solution as it usually covers all the elements you need. We are compatible, and these are our recommended solutions:
- GDPR Backpack by Pandectes
- GDPR app by iSense
Analyzify ensures that your Google Tag Manager and entire data analytics setup comply with GDPR.
What you will secure:
- GDPR compliant GTM & Google Analytics 4 & Google Ads pixels setup,
- Detailed step-by-step tutorials on each element of GDPR,
- Expert help on GDPR setup & validation (as an additional service).
Having completed over 600 data analytics setups, we have learned a lot on GDPR. As a company based in Europe, we care about GDPR a great deal. Here are the most common GDPR violations committed by Shopify merchants:
- doesn’t include all the needed details.
- is not linked through the consent banner clearly.
The consent banner
- doesn’t have the proper categories.
- doesn’t have the “accept” and “don’t accept” options equally offered.
- comes all the options pre-checked.
- starts before the consent is provided.
- still works on some of the pages even if the user doesn’t provide consent.
- carries more data than the user’s consent.